The region is famous worldwide for its scientists, sportsmen, writers, poets, artists, painters and politicians, such as the following:
- Dmitri Mendeleev, chemist, physicist, metrologist, economist, technologist, geologist, meteorologist, teacher, aeronaut, professor of St Petersburg University, Corresponding Member of St Petersburg Emperor Academy of Sciences, most famous for his Periodic Trends (born in 1834).
- Yuri Osipov, Russian mathematician and mechanic, professor, the first president of Russian Academy of Science, foreign member of the Austrian Science Academy, Hungarian Academy of Science and Armenian, Georgian, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan and Ukrainian Science Academies as well (born in Tobolsk, in 1936).
- Pyotr Yershov, author of The Humpbacked Horse (born in Ishim, in 1815)
- Vasily Knyazev, Soviet revolutionary poet and satirist (born in Tyumen, in 1887)
- Vladislav Krapivin, children`s writer (born in Tyumen, in 1938)
- Gavriil Batenkov, Russian officer, Decembrist, writer (born in Tobolsk, in 1793)
- Alexander Abdulov, actor (born in Tobolsk, in 1953)
- Alexander Alyabyev, composer (born in Tobolsk, in 1787)
- Sergey Sobyanin, third mayor of Moscow, governor of the Tyumen region (2001-2005), born in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Area, in 1958
- Vasily Perov, painter (born in Tobolsk, in 1833 or 1834)
- Nikolai Nikitin, Soviet architect, built Ostankino Tower, the framework of the main building of Moscow State University; sculpture The Motherland Calls, born in Tobolsk, in 1907.
- Alexander Kokorinov, architect, one of the founders and the first director of the Academy of Arts, born in Tobolsk, in 1726
- Yuri Gulyaev, Soviet singer (born in Tyumen, in 1930)
- Boris Shahlin, gymnast, seven-time Olympic champion, (born in Ishim, I 1932)
- Grigori Rasputin, confidant to the royal family, born in Tyumen, in 1869
- Boris Grabovsky, soviet physicist and inventor who is thought to have played an important role in the invention of the TV, born in Tobolsk, in 1901
Sights of the Tyumen Region
Read about sports in Tyumen
How to get to Tyumen